MAY at Biddenden Bowls Club
Biddenden Bowls Club
It's great to be back bowling!! What has happened so far?
- 5 friendly matches played (Staplecross, Iden, Folkestone, Sellindge, Lenham) - see "friendlies page" for results
- 3 League Games played with a winning start in the Weald League for both our A and B team - see league pages
- 5 really enjoyable club afternoons with lots of members coming along
- 4 taster sessions for potential new bowlers - 4 have already joined!!
- Members are taking advantage of the options to pay match fees by cash, purchased tokens or card payments.
- 3 afternoon sessions with John Mayne Primary School - years 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Years 5 and 6 coming on Tuesday 24th)
- 3 Sunday morning junior coaching sessions
- First 2 payments received from the Ashford Community Lottery representing 50% of tickets bought by our supporters
- New advertising sponsor - Tony of IN ACTION bowls down in Hythe
- A flourishing and rather beautiful flowering rhododendron
- A very successful Club Drawn Triples competition. Malcolm/Roland/Ashley and Ray/Jim/Linda have progressed to the final on finals weekend in early September.
- THE SUCCESSFUL FLEDGING OF AT LEAST 3 BABY ROBINS FROM A NEST MADE IN A BOX ON TOP OF THE FRIDGE
On and around the Green
Mowing, spiking, weeding, edge trimming, applying treatments are all ongoing and the green is looking good and speeding up. The brushers continue to do their daily work but we do need to cover some holiday absences over the coming months. Can you help?
Worm casts/mud on the green - you may have noticed worm casts when you come along for a roll up despite the brushing. These really do need to be "swished off" before bowling. This breaks them down and helps them go back into the grass without getting trodden in or engrained on your bowls. If you are going for rollups or playing in matches please swish the green/rink - it doesn't take long and it's a good way to warm up before bowling! 2 Switch sticks are on hooks above the mens changing room window.
A plea from Paul and Ralph - please put your name forward for as many friendlies as possible to give us a chance to select balanced teams. Having a selection problem is a good situation to be in and we are tracking who puts their names forward and does/does not play to ensure that everyone is getting games. Where we have too many names an intra club game will often be arranged. Already though for both the Folkestone and Lenham game we have had to chase around for players. Friendlies are for all including those new to the game. It is what bowls is all about so please do put your name forward when you can. We will always try to select and publish the teams at least 7 days in advance. Please remember to tick your name after selections are made so that we know you will be there!
Teas for Friendly Matches - All those who play in friendlies are asked to take their in turn to organise and serve teas. Denise is co-ordinating the rota/list and this is up at the club house. There are still a lot of gaps on it so please check your diaries and get your name up. If you don't want to do it on your own pair up with another bowler. Tea, coffee, sugar, biscuits, savoury crackers and sugar are all at the club. Those doing teas are asked to bring along milk and 3/4 raffle prizes. If you have any queries please ask.
Knock Out Competitions have been drawn
The draws for the Club Championship, Mens & Ladies Championships & the Biddenden Bowl have been made with the first games already played. Please see the sheets at the green or the knock out competitions page for details of the draw and dates by when rounds need to be played.
BIDDENDEN FLOWER FESTIVAL 2022. FRIDAY JUNE 3rd - SUNDAY JUNE 5th 10am -5pm - Message from Jeannette
Find Biddenden Bowls Club
The Green, Gordon Jones Playing Fields, Tenterden Road, Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27 8BB
Turn off the A262 (Tenterden Road) into Old Mill Court and then immediately bear left into first car park. Continue past playing field and to the right of the squash club. The bowls club is on the left at the far end of the car park.