April Update Number 2
Biddenden Bowls Club
Here is the follow up (rather more light hearted) newsletter promised in the first April update.
It is 5th April 2020 and the last day of the tax year. As well as thoughts of tax returns, interesting events have happened on this date - here are 4:
- Actor born in 1900 (ST)
- Actress born in 1908 (BD)
- Actor born in 1916 (GP)
- In 1975 the Grand National was won by L'E.. ahead of RR
Ok then that is nothing to do with bowls so let's get back to it.
A message from Captain Paul
In these challenging times it is sometimes easy to forget those in London and large conurbations who unlike us don’t have the rural setting and space to deal with “confinement” a little more easily. Nevertheless, it is still frustrating as we have some warm spring weather, that we cannot get out and about and get ready for the start of the summer bowls season. However, one bonus is that our garden has had more attention in the last two weeks than in the previous two years!!
To help us make the most of the enforced spare time we have at home, I will put together a series of bowls related quizzes.
CAPTAINS CHALLENGE – Part One
“… in the beginning …. of an end”
- What is the “Mat Line”?
- What is the “Centre Line of the Mat”?
- Which is the “Front Ditch”?
- Which is the “Rear Ditch”?
The answers to these first 4 questions are at the end of this newsletter, as you need to know them to answer the following questions.
5. When placing the mat at the start an end what is the minimum distance of the mat line from the rear ditch?
6. When placing the mat at the start of an end what is the minimum distance of the mat line from the front ditch?
7. What is the minimum distance of a Jack from the Mat Line for it to be considered a proper delivery?
8. Name two other reasons when it is considered that the jack has been improperly delivered?
9. What is the procedure if the jack is delivered to within 2m of the front ditch?
10. In any one end how many times can delivery of the jack by both teams be attempted to achieve proper delivery?
Answers to questions 5 – 10 to be published on the website a few days after this newsletter is issued.
Guardians of the Green (GOTG) VOLUME 1 – A Tale of Super Heroes
To fully appreciate this tale, you might like to check out – Guardians of the Galaxy “Think of them as good guys… with an unconventional approach to the Super Hero business”
The story so far ……..
With members unable to visit the green (aka 'Planet Green') at this time due to the Global Attack, Biddenden Bowls Club needed help……
The GOTG have come forward and stepped up patrols to protect “Planet Green”.
Leader Robin has recently reported the following:
The ‘duo’ wagtails are making regular sorties to Planet Green providing robust coverage - however some absences have been noted - it is suspected, occasioned by their ‘love interest’ – all guardians have been urged to keep focussed during these challenging times.
The squirrel squad has been keeping a close watch while patrolling all areas - however some evidence of distraction whilst they search for elusive nuts resulting in small disruptions on the surface of Planet Green.
Our spy planes, the "Geese", with no identifying markings, have been avoiding the drones, and observing, from a great height. So far, no sightings of the infamous Crane Fly who we are concerned may not maintain social distancing.
All GOTG are remaining vigilant.
The reports from GOTG are co-ordinated by our undercover operative codenamed Bandit.
The bowls season should have been starting next week, but we all understand why we cannot meet up as we normally would. We also know that many of our members are isolated in their homes. So please send in some pictures or tales that we can share to let all of our members know they are thought about and that we look forward to getting back together at the green before too long.
ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS 1 to 4
- What is the “Mat Line”? The edge of the mat closest to the front ditch – Definition C20
- What is the “Centre Line of the Mat”? The centre line of the mat parallel to the longest side – 6,1.1
- Which is the “Front Ditch”? When standing on the rink facing the direction of play it is the ditch in front of you - C8.1
- Which is the “Rear Ditch”? When standing on the rink facing the direction of play it is the ditch behind you - C8.2
Find Biddenden Bowls Club
The Green, Gordon Jones Playing Fields, Tenterden Road, Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27 8BB
Turn off the A262 (Tenterden Road) into Old Mill Court and then immediately bear left into first car park. Continue past playing field and to the right of the squash club. The bowls club is on the left at the far end of the car park.