Captain's News Letter January 2021
Biddenden Bowls Club
Happy New Year to everyone. Let’s hope that 2021 and the new season is more normal than what we experienced in 2020!!
I know there remain many challenges at present as we are still in the middle of winter bringing lots of rain, cold temperatures, frosts, wind as well as mist and fog all of which have curtailed work crew activities at the green. Additionally, we face the very severe restrictions imposed because of the Covid Pandemic meaning we are unable to meet with family and friends doing those things that seemed so “normal” just a year ago. I hope that the “cavalry”, in the guise of vaccinations, arrives for us all soon. That ends my “doom and gloom” paragraph!
So now looking positively forward to the 2021 bowls season!! With just over three months to the start of the new season there is much to do and most importantly to look forward to. We are very aware that COVID may impact on our activities and like last season we will adapt as needed BUT planning is well underway to put us in a good place:
- David, our fixture secretary has organised some 46 Friendly matches
- The Weald and Maidstone Leagues have put in place the divisional structures which will see our three teams play 38 matches … more on this later
- Planning has started for our ten normal club competitions as well as some “fun” styled events. Please support Sue Jones in her first season as competition secretary.
- Planning for one of our significant fund raisers our “Ladies Day Tournament” in August has already started. Barbara who is taking the lead for co-ordinating this event for the first time will need help and support from us all
- Much work will be needed on the green in the next three months to have it in a good state for the start of the season as well as preparations around the green and facilities
- We have 20 members entered in County Knock Out Competitions
- Thursday afternoons and evenings will once again be our club sessions for roll ups (and hopefully a chat and cup of tea!!)
- Pages on the website are being updated with dates, details and information
Friendlies, Club Competitions and Coaching/familiarisation Sessions
I hope that as many members as possible, both experienced and new to bowls, will take part in the Friendly Matches and the Club Competitions as they are great fun and build experience. Please look out for more information and entry forms over the coming months
The disruption in 2020 meant that many of our newer bowlers did not experience bowls played in a “normal” way due to COVID rules. In late March/early April we are hoping to arrange some sessions (using ZOOM and/or meetings at the clubhouse) to cover basic rules, procedures, etiquette, marking and tactics followed up with sessions early in the season to apply these in a practical setting on the green. Please let us know things you would like to be included/covered in these sessions and if you who would like to be involved … either participating and/or helping to run them.
The Weald and Maidstone Leagues
We have two teams of three mixed triples entered in the Tuesday evening Weald League and a team of two men’s triples in Friday evening Maidstone. We will need a good nucleus of players in the squads to ensure we can cover for holiday and other absences. I would like to gauge the level of interest of members in playing/being available to play in the League teams and understand peoples preferred position(s) within the triple. Please have a look at the League page on the website for more information and then you can complete and submit the form to us.
Keep safe everyone – really looking forward to seeing you all at the green before too long.
Paul Buggins Captain Norman Jones Vice Captain
01233 860335 or 07900538617 07920426968
Find Biddenden Bowls Club
The Green, Gordon Jones Playing Fields, Tenterden Road, Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27 8BB
Turn off the A262 (Tenterden Road) into Old Mill Court and then immediately bear left into first car park. Continue past playing field and to the right of the squash club. The bowls club is on the left at the far end of the car park.