Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

July Update No 2

By Kim Buggins Biddenden Bowls Club

Monday, 6 July 2020

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Biddenden Bowls Club Contributor

VIEW ALL ARTICLES BY THIS AUTHOR

This is a follow up July newsletter as we could not fit everything into the first one. Firstly just to say it has been lovely over recent days to welcome a number of bowlers back to the green. Some 30 members have now been along and it has been great seeing them all. It highlights how much we miss absent friends!!

Fund Raising - Sue J's Kitchen - Lockdown Treats

As ever there is an ongoing need to fund raise to support our club and a wonderful offer has been made by Sue J. She has been busy baking over lockdown and her Facebook photos of cakes, sausage rolls, bread pudding and Eccles cakes really do make the mouth water. Sue has offered to bake to order for club members with at least 90% of proceeds going to club funds (the other 10% in part covering purchase of ingredients).

Please visit the new page on our website Sue J's Kitchen Treats for more information and details on what is available, prices and most importantly how to order. Items can be collected by arrangement from the green or can be delivered if needed to addresses in Biddenden, Woodlands, High Halden and Bethersden.

Norman has been testing out the products (and has had to play lots of bowls and do lots of DIY to keep the calories off!!) We sampled the chocolate cake yesterday - highly recommended. Thank you Sue

Taster Sessions

Whilst there will be no Open Day this year, we are still offering Taster Sessions and the introductory Play Bowls coaching programme. Last week we welcomed Kev and Nicky who did really well and are coming again this week. If you know of anyone who might like to come along for a bowl (perhaps because they cannot enjoy their normal sport/leisure activities) then please ask them to get in touch.

Covid 19 Competitions

First a quick update on the yarkstick. 4 more games were played this afternoon and Denise is now the holder of the highest score over 12 ends at 27!! She is closely followed by Norman and Mike on 25,

The drawn pairs get underway this weekend with 4 groups of 3 pairs. The winner of each will go forward to the semi-finals. Like the yardstick this is being played over 12 ends.

The draw for the next 2 singles competitions will be taking place on 12th July. A number of members have started bowling again over the past week and if anyone wants to add their name for the draw please speak to Paul or Denise or complete the entry form on the COVID 19 competitions page or email biddendenbowlsclub@gmail.com

COVID 19 “Bowl” Singles Open to all members who have not yet won a singles competition either at Biddenden or another bowls club. 12 Ends per game with four bowls each player. Still open for entries Draw to be made 12 July

COVID 19 Mixed Singles Open to all members 12 Ends per game with four bowls each player. Still open for entries Draw to be made 12 July

Paul and Denise are currently planning another pairs competition for August - so watch this space!! If you have any ideas or feedback on the competitions please let them know.

Lavender Cuttings

Work is still underway planting up the clay bank. Despite the dry clay conditions, most of the lavenders have done well and have managed to get established. We would like to extend the hedge right away along the hedge and wondered if any members have any lavender cuttings they could donate to help with this. Also, if you have any ground cover plants which thrive on clay, they would be very welcome!!

Raffle Prizes reminder from Jeannette

Please as you continue the lockdown "tidy and sort" keep an eye out for anything which would be a good raffle prize for next season.

Contact Information

Kim Buggins

  • 07795802630

Find Biddenden Bowls Club

The Green, Gordon Jones Playing Fields, Tenterden Road, Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27 8BB

DIRECTIONS

Additional Information

Turn off the A262 (Tenterden Road) into Old Mill Court and then immediately bear left into first car park. Continue past playing field and to the right of the squash club. The bowls club is on the left at the far end of the car park.