Captain's News Letter March 2021
Biddenden Bowls Club
Spring has arrived and we are just a calendar month away from the start of the new outdoor bowls season. The green keeping work-crew are working hard to get the green ready for the “Opening”, currently planned for 22 April.
League and friendly Matches
Norman and I are keen to start putting up friendly games availability sheets in mid-April with the first match on 1 May. We are waiting to see what adjustments are needed to accommodate Covid guidelines but we are keen for as many members as possible to be involved.
We remain confident that the Weald and Maidstone Leagues will start as planned from 14 May. Please let me know if you would like to be considered for selection in these games if you have not already done so. We need to have a good squad of players. We would like to try some potential triples in our first few friendly games as well as early season “roll-up” afternoons.
Bowls and Club Information sessions for new and less experienced bowlers– to help members become familiar with what they need to know about the club and bowls in general and to support/encourage them to get fully involved in matches and club activities.
The sessions will cover topics such as:
- Getting to know the facilities at the club
- Equipment, Bowls, Mats, scoreboards etc.
- The Green!!
- Types of format of play and the responsibilities of different members of a team
- Basic rules and tactics
- Friendly matches
- Weekly roll ups
- Club competitions and events
- County knockouts
What is covered in each session will depend on who is attending and which topics will be the right ones for them. Whenever possible practical activities will be included.
Planned Dates - 9/13/16 April two sessions on each 2pm to 3.30pm and 4pm to 5.30 pm. Sessions will also be available on Saturday 10th and 17th April (times flexible to suit). As the Rule of 6 will probably be in force we will run these sessions on the Veranda at the green and limit attendees to a maximum of 4 per session. If as I hope, we are over subscribed we will arrange extra times. Bring along your own flask of tea/coffee!!
If you would like to come to some sessions please complete the form on the captain’s comments page or email to email@example.com. If there are specific topics which you would like to cover please say.
I hope to see lots of you there and particularly look forward to getting to know some of our new members. Please give me a ring if you would like to discuss anything about the sessions.
Paul Buggins, Captain 01233 860335
TASKS FOR 2021 - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED !!
There is a lot to do in the final run up to the new season. A list of the main tasks which need to be done to get the Green and surrounds ready for 22 April is on the website under “All Around the Green”. Please have a look and let us know if you can help.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to Paul, Jim, Jeannette, Kim or the person who has already put their name forward to lead.
Please have a look at the full list but here are some of the tasks
- Clean ditches/insert rubber liners (15 April)
- Sort, check, tidy, clean “Equipment Store” and contents (15- 20 April)
- Pressure wash pavilion decking
- Recoat pavilion decking/balustrades
- Weed paving areas
- Check and fix perimeter fence and gates
- Weed and prepare all “garden” areas around green
- Apply moss killer to surrounds
- Clean and put out benches and chairs (approx. 20 April)
- Clean and tidy pavilion and ladies changing area, including Fridge/crockery, and tea rota and supplies – Veronica
- Clean. tidy and prepare toilets and cleaning rota – Barbara
- Clean, tidy and prepare men’s changing rooms, may need a coat of paint ?
- Tidy and dispose of RUBBISH !! there is lots (mainly behind storage container), possible skip ?
MANY HANDS MAKE LIGHTER WORK
Find Biddenden Bowls Club
The Green, Gordon Jones Playing Fields, Tenterden Road, Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27 8BB
Turn off the A262 (Tenterden Road) into Old Mill Court and then immediately bear left into first car park. Continue past playing field and to the right of the squash club. The bowls club is on the left at the far end of the car park.