June Update - Activities at the Green
Biddenden Bowls Club
A few updates covering activities at the green, competitions and the Ladies Tournament
Extension of Activities at the Green with effect 10th June 2020
The committee is pleased to confirm that following the latest government guidance and supplementary guidance from Bowls England, activities permitted at the green have been extended but are still subject to strict guidelines and prebooking of rinks.
Since the green reopened on 16th May, 15 members have taken the opportunity to enjoy a roll up with just 2 per rink. The hygiene arrangements have worked well (even if the hand santiser is a bit sticky!!) and bowlers have been able to socially distance safely.
The full guidelines for the activities now permitted are on the COVID 19 guidance page on the website along with a message from Jeannette. Any one who bowls or who comes along to watch must make themselves familiar with these guidelines and ensure they are respected at all times.
A single sided good practice guide has also been produced and is on display by the hygiene table. To make social distancing easier it is suggested that the mat is taken forward at least 2 metres to leave plenty of space 2 metres away from the mat for the others bowlers to stand and to put the bowls.
The main changes are:
- up to a maximum of 4 bowlers/people on a rink which will make it possible to play pairs, singles with a marker, roll ups and for some coaching to take place
- The maximum number of people on the green will be 12 people.
- Up to 4 spectators may be at the green but they must be booked in and must maintain social distancing (minimum 2 metres).
- Pushers may now be used and will be available by the hygiene table but MUST ONLY BE USED/TOUCHED BY ONE PERSON ON THE RINK AND THAT PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SANITISATION OF THE PUSHER BEFORE AND AFTER USE.
What has NOT CHANGED
- Social distancing of 2 metres must be maintained at all times unless people are from the same household.
- The clubhouse, mens changing room and main toilet block all remain closed
- The sanitisation of equipment and any surfaces touched must be undertaken before and after use.
- A booking must be made in advance covering: any bowlers, spectators, markers, coach.
As it is now possible to play pairs or have a marker for singles Paul is hoping to set up some competitions for those who are playing. These will not replace the normal club competitions but will add some variety and give the chance for some match experience and practise. He will be contacting all those who are playing but if you are thinking about coming down for a bowl and would like to be included please let Paul know. Likely to be a couple of singles formats and a drawn pairs.
Ladies Tournament 6th August 2020
Sadly, Maggie, with the support of the commitee, has made the inevitable decision to cancel this years Ladies Tournament. Such a shame as it is a great day and Maggie has already done a lot of work but in the current climate ours and nearly all other club tournaments are having to be cancelled for 2020.
How many squirrels can you see in the picture?
Find Biddenden Bowls Club
The Green, Gordon Jones Playing Fields, Tenterden Road, Biddenden, Ashford, Kent, TN27 8BB
Turn off the A262 (Tenterden Road) into Old Mill Court and then immediately bear left into first car park. Continue past playing field and to the right of the squash club. The bowls club is on the left at the far end of the car park.